Overlooking Bass Straight and Penguin’s CBD the site records 1800+ burials. It opened in 1869, saw a new section added in 1957, and closed 20 years later. At rest here are Bounty immigrants of the 1850s, returned soldiers from the Boer, First and Second World Wars, as well as the odd ‘guest of the crown’. There are many a mystery underfoot. Numerous burial records have missing information. And one person has yet to ‘rest in peace’. Buried in 1915 the search for his identity continues.