Penguin Silver Mine

The discovery by James “Philosopher” Smith of copper and silver on the beach near Penguin and in the Dial Range in the 1860s prompted legislative change allowing seashore mining. It was the first Tasmanian mine to attract significant mainland investment starting a mining boom in the west and north-west. The mine failed with mining equipment removed by 1908 when the shaft was flooded and filled.

Resources & Other Links